THE ASSUMPTION THAT RESEARCHERS ARE SUBSTANDARD SEEMS UNLIKELY Nurse academics and the universities they work for should be congratulated for the improvement in quality and quantity of research (News April 22). To go from just 1% being rated first class in 1996 to 80% in 2014, is a great achievement. Quality is, to my mind, more important than quantity. Hugh McKenna presumably knows from departmental data that only 40% of eligible staff submitted research. But it seems a big leap to assume that the remaining 60% are not doing research at all, or that the research is of poor quality, and I would like to see the supporting evidence for this statement. Jennifer Hunt, visiting professor of nursing, Anglia Ruskin University

NOW IS A GOOD TIME TO FIND OUT WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO REVALIDATE To remain on the Nursing and Midwifery Council register, all nurses and midwives will need to revalidate every three years. Revalidation builds on the current PREP requirements, and is the process that all nurses and midwives will need to engage with to demonstrate their ongoing fitness to practise. We are piloting revalidation in a range of organisations and settings across the UK. The pilot organisations are using provisional guidance that includes information on how to obtain feedback and confirmation. It advises on alternative arrangements if, for example, you do not have a line manager or you work overseas. Nurses and midwives should familiarise themselves with the guidance (see and sign up now to NMC Online, in time for the launch of revalidation in October 2015. Jackie Smith, chief executive, Nursing and Midwifery Council

I DON’T KNOW HOW MATERNITY LEAVE AFFECTS MY REVALIDATION I have been registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council since

2009. I was on maternity leave from September 2013 to July 2014, and am currently on maternity leave that began on December 15 last year. My NMC registration is due for renewal in October, and I am due to return to work in December. I recently received an email from my line manager saying I have been selected for the revalidation audit process. I explained my situation to her and was told that the NMC would contact me, but the only information I have about the revalidation process is from an email from RCNi. I met up with a colleague recently who said those selected for the revalidation process were given the option to opt out during a briefing at work. I was unaware of this so have not opted out and am worried about not being able to fulfil the requirements of the revalidation audit process because of two consecutive maternity leaves. Could anyone explain to me how maternity leave affects revalidation? Jocelyn Fernandes, via email

WOULD YOU LIKE TO CONTRIBUTE TO MY STUDY OF BULLYING IN THE NHS? I am a senior lecturer at Canterbury Christ Church University and am conducting research into work-based relations in the public sector as a result of culture changes. I am particularly interested in workplace bullying, and am looking to recruit study participants from all levels of the health service. Participation in the study is voluntary, and I am happy to interview people outside of working hours. Individuals and employers will not be named, as at this stage I am just interested in collecting accounts of incidents. If you would be interested in taking part in the study, please email me at [email protected] or call me on 01227 863643 Ian Durrant, senior lecturer, Canterbury Christ Church University

TWEETS OF THE WEEK Big question for UKIP is just how they plan on keeping the NHS running without our immigrant nurses #nscomment @GGByrneSTN

UKIP are re-introducing SEN status, to open training to more people at home, not sure about doctors @stpjjf

I think Band 3 HCA already performing enrolled nurse role without recognition pay and regulation #NSComment @wendyjpitt61

There is no role for ENs to fill, given acute trusts are now training some HCAs up to NVQ Level 4. @Laura_Guest1

Best part of night shifts... finishing on Monday mornings, bedtime and a couple days off #teamnightshift #nurselife @rachleary

I’d say I’ve got about 10 more minutes before that tube feeding pump alarm sound in my head goes away. Maybe 15. #nurselife @NurseEyeRoll

Sunday evening = ironing the uniform #nurse @DonnaNewcross

@DonnaNewcross I’ve never ironed a uniform. Any tips? I’ve heard it can make them starchy! @PUNC14Hannahjoy

Follow Nursing Standard @NurseStandard and join the #NScomment chat on Thursdays at 12.30pm

NURSING STANDARD aprilNo 29other :: voluses 29 without no 35 ::permission. 2015 29 Downloaded from by ${individualUser.displayName} on Jul 17, 2016. For personal use only. Copyright © 2016 RCNi Ltd. All rights reserved.

Now is a good time to find out what you need to do to revalidate.

Now is a good time to find out what you need to do to revalidate. - PDF Download Free
54KB Sizes 0 Downloads 9 Views